- Year 6 Residential - Winmarleigh Hall 21st June 2021 at 08:00
- Year 6 Residential - Winmarleigh Hall 22nd June 2021 at 00:00
Monday 18th January
Over the course of this week, you will be reading a collection of stories written over a hundred years ago by a writer who was a celebrity of the time.
Joseph Rudyard Kipling (30 December 1865 - 18 January 1936) was an English author and poet. He was born in Bombay, India. He wrote children's fiction including The Jungle Book and Puck of Pooks Hill. He also wrote the well known poems and many short stories set in India. He was awarded the 1907 Nobel Prize in Literature.
TASK 1: Rudyard Kipling Reading Comprehension
Clarify the following words: You can look them up in a dictionary or online.
Next read through the text first and then answer the questions on Rudyard Kipling’s life.
TASK 2: Rudyard Kipling Biography
A biography gives facts about a person’s life. It is not written by the subject of the book, but by an author who has done their research and knows a great deal about that person. Biographies are written in the third person and in chronological order. They include information about when and where the person was born, their childhood, important events in their lives including information about what they did or achieved.
Using what you learnt about Rudyard Kipling's Life from the Reading Comprehension, can you write a short biography about his life?
Write your biography in 3 short paragraphs thinking about...
- His background - when was he born, where was he from, who were his family, what was he famous for?
- His history as an author - which books did he write? which were his most famous?
- Any other facts you learnt about him.