- Year 6 Residential - Winmarleigh Hall 21st June 2021 at 08:00
- Year 6 Residential - Winmarleigh Hall 22nd June 2021 at 00:00
Tuesday 19th January
Today you will start with a handwriting task, don't forget to warm up your fingers, use a sharp pencil, sit up straight and concentrate. Here is a finger fitness video to get you started!
Complete the handwriting tasks...
Just So Stories: The Elephant's Child
Published in 1902, Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories are fantasy explanations for how animal characteristics ‘evolved’. Each tale aims to describe how one animal or creature acquired its most distinctive features
TASK 1: Read The Elephant's Child
In the Just So Stories of Rudyard Kipling, he tells the story of how the elephant got its trunk. Set on the banks of the great grey-green, greasy Limpopo River in Africa. The Elephant's Child wants to find out about anything and everything. He especially wants to know about what the crocodile has for dinner. Have a listen to the story or read the downloadable copy below.
TASK 2: Tell me
- What did you like about this story?
- What did you dislike?
- What puzzled you?
- What connections were there (with any other texts, films, stories you have read/watched)?
- What did you notice about the language?
Task 3: Comic strip
Retell the story of The Elephant's Child the form of a comic strip, you may have to edit bits out or paraphrase. Pick the most important parts of the story to summarise.