- School closed until further notice 13th July 2020 at 00:00
- School closed until further notice 14th July 2020 at 00:00
Monday - Science
What do plants need to grow?
LO: To identify the main sources of plants growth and introduce the process of Photosynthesis.
Task 1: Complete the sentences in your home learning books, using the key words below.
light water air soil
1) Many plants need ___________from the sun.
2) Many plants need ___________ or they will dry out.
3) Many plants need ___________ to grow their roots in. They get the nutrients they need from the soil.
4) Plants need __________, __________ and __________ which they use to make food.
During photosynthesis, plants breathe in carbon dioxide and breathe out oxygen. In the process, they replenish our supply of oxygen (and their own supply of oxygen) and keep us alive! Photosynthesis in plants generally involves the green chlorophyll in the leaves and generates oxygen.
Task 2: Use the PowerPoint Presentation and the video to create an information poster about what plants need to grow and what you have learnt about Photosynthesis! There are examples posters attached below for inspiration.
Extension Task: Chlorophyll Rubbings
Chlorophyll is the green pigments found in the leaves of plants. Chlorophyll is essential in photosynthesis, allowing plants to absorb energy from sunlight. By pressing leaves down on paper you can extract the green pigment (Chlorophyll) and use it as a material to create leaf rubbings!