Monday - Science
LO: To identify the main parts of a plant/flower and observe plants in the local environment.
What is a plant?
Definition: a living organism such as trees, shrubs, herbs, grasses, ferns and mosses, that typically grow in a permanent position. They absorb water and nutrients through its roots in order to grow.
Task 2: Flower Dissection Practical Activity
- Find a flower. Make sure that you ask permission before picking a flower. If you do not have access to a flower, you can use the example diagram from the PowerPoint to help you.
- Draw a grid or use print the example below with the following plant parts: petal, pollen, anther, filament, sepal, stigma, style, ovary, leaf.
- Carefully remove the parts of a flower, you may want to use tweezers to do this if you have any in your house.
- Lay the flower out on a flat surface and place the different parts into the correct boxes in the grid.
- Using what you have learnt from today’s lesson, can you write a brief description of what part does in your home learning books. Use the PowerPoint to help you recap if you need to.