- SCHOOL REOPENS AFTER AUTUMN HALF TERM 2nd November 2020
- SCHOOL CLOSES FOR END OF AUTUMN TERM 18th December 2020
Wednesday - Topic
Vikings had their own system of writing called Runes. The basic alphabet had 16 letters. It was called a Futhark after the first 6 letters. The first runic inscriptions, or carvings, are from around the year 200 AD, and have an alphabet with 24 letters. Around 800 AD the alphabet was shortened to 16 letters. Runes were used to write up until the Middle Ages. Inscriptions on stone and wood were made in normal runes.
Choose from the following activities below...
- Complete the Viking Runes quiz
- Decode the Viking Runes code breaker!
- Create a nice piece of art this afternoon by writing your own name out in Runes
- Write your own secret message in Viking Runes